ToursApplyLogin

Historical Timeline

1896

Land purchase

Mother Gonzaga Barry and Mother Dorothea Frizelle purchased the land on which Loreto Normanhurst stands today.

1897

School Opens

Sunday 28 February 1897, the foundation stone was laid by Cardinal Moran, the Archbishop of Sydney. The school opened to 15 students and nine Sisters.

October 17 1987, First Mass was celebrated

1898

Formally opened

Cardinal Moran blessed and formally opened “Loretto Convent”.

1900s

Name change

Loretto became Loreto.

1903

First Procession

The first Corpus Christi Procession was held in the school grounds.

1912

Past Pupils Association

The ‘Old Girls’ formed a Past Pupils Association which has given loyal support to the nuns and continues to the present day as the Ex-Students’ Association.

1920

65 Boarders

There were 65 Boarders and 12 Day Pupils. A Sports Mistress was recorded for the first time.

1921

Holy Angels’ Chapel

The new Holy Angels’ Chapel and new classrooms were built.

1922

Head Girl

The Honour Board naming the Head Girl of the school was set up; the Head of the School was presented with a silver cross (which continues to be worn today as the “Captain’s Cross”).

1928

Boarders Dining Room

Cardinal Cerretti laid the foundation stone of the Boarders Dining Room and new dormitories. There were 91 Boarders. A new uniform was introduced.

1929

Refectory Wing

The Blessing and Opening of the Refectory Wing by Cardinal Ceretti.

1929

Blue uniform

Blue uniform with pleats and faun blouse introduced

1930s

Example Headline

1939

Example Headline

1947

Jubilee

1948

Head of Junior

Mother Evangeline Kendall appointed first Head of the Junior School. There were 37 Junior School students.

1950

Parent Association

Junior School building completed.

Parents Association of Loreto Normanhurst was formed in the ‘50s and continues today as Parent Association of Loreto (PAL).

1953

Foundation stone

Foundation stone for the new chapel laid by Cardinal Moran. Transformation of the study room into the Reception Room.

1954

New (and current) Chapel

New (and current) Chapel opening and blessing. The old chapel was extended and a verandah added. Number of boarders increased to 116. The Statue of St Michael’s was presented by the mother of one of the nuns. Blessing conducted by Bishop Lyons.

1956

New novitiate

The new novitiate was blessed by Cardinal Gilroy and the Novices arrived a few weeks later.

1958

Boarding outnumbers

Day students outnumbered boarding students for the first time: 135 to 120.

1960

McEvoy Library

The first library (McEvoy Library) was opened funded by the McEvoy family.

1966

New Senior Hall

A new Senior school hall was built.

1968

Novice Building

The Novice Building was now known as the “Mary Ward Wing” as it is called today. The novices had been transferred to Melbourne at the end of 1967.

1971

Summer Uniform

Summer uniform with blue and white stitching introduced

1972

Music Festival

The inaugural Music Festival began led by the Head of Music, Sister Deirdre Browne ibvm.

1980

Sports Oval

The newly completed Veronica Reid sports oval was formally opened.

1982

Four Classes. 100 Staff.

Each year group now had four classes and there was approximately 100 staff including both teaching and support staff. The Junior School closed this year.

1983

New Gymnasium

The new gymnasium was opened.

1985

Example Headline

1986

First computers

First computers at Loreto Normanhurst.

1990

Rowing Start

Rowing started at Loreto Normanhurst.

1991

Rowing Start

Loreto Normanhurst won the 1991 Regatta.

1992

School Council

School Council established.

1994

First Lay Principal

New Principal Mrs Leoni Degenhardt appointed as the first lay principal.

1995

New uniforms. Loreto Life.

The new (and current) Winter and Summer Uniforms introduced. The development office was set up in 1995 and the magazine “Loreto Life” was created.

1996

Mother Evangeline Kendal’s funeral

Mother Evangeline Kendall’s funeral was held. students created guard of honour for the procession to the cemetery
The school website went live.

1997

Centenary Year

Centenary Year celebrations.

1998

Vertical Pastoral Care

The Vertical Pastoral Care system was established.

1999

Learning Resource Centre and Curran Lecture Theatre

Opening of the current Learning Resource Centre and the Curran Lecture Theatre.

2004

Student Growth Model

Introduction of the Loreto Normanhurst Student Growth Model.
Opening of the Deirdre Rofe Centre.

2005

Teresa Ball Centre

Opening of the Teresa Ball Centre.

2006

Far North Queensland Experience

Far North Queensland Experience began.

2007

Bronze sculpture

A life size bronze sculpture “reflecting the life and charism of Mary Ward” was unveiled at Loreto Normanhurst.

2008

Ms Barbara Watkins

Ms Barbara Watkins appointed as Principal.

2009

Visual Arts Centre

Opening of the Mother Evangeline Kendall Visual Arts Centre.

2010

Historic Oak Replaced

Original historic oak tree was removed from the front entrance – replaced with another to grow in its place.

2013

Gonzaga Barry Centre

Opening of the Gonzaga Barry Centre.

2015

Teresa Ball Primary Centre

Reopening of the Primary School, named the “Teresa Ball Primary Centre”, opening for Year 5 and 6 students.

2017

Celebrating 120 years

120 years of Loreto Normanhurst education.

2019

Ms Marina Ugonotti

Ms Marina Ugonotti appointed as Principal.

Loreto Normanhurst.
Start Here. Go Anywhere.

Enquire

School Tours

Apply Now